Peltier Cooling Aluminum Block (for 7 and 12.5 gallon fermenters)
SKU AL Block-300
This is the most cost effective way to actively cool your home brew fermenter - and the most sanitary as well. With this "Do It Yourself" kit you can save thousands of dollars compared to buying an off-the-shelf fermenter with this same capability.
This Peltier Fermenter Cooling Aluminum Block is for standard 7.3 gallon and 12.5 gallon fermenters. It cools your fermenter without a refrigerator using solid state peltier chips (solid state chips that run on 12VDC and get cold on one side and hot on the other). We've machined the aluminum blocks so you can easily make your own DIY peltier cooled fermenter.
- Related products
- Customers also bought
How Does it Work?
By mounting a peltier chip onto our aluminum block and using a common CPU fan to pull heat off of the hot side of the chip, you can provide excellent temperature control. Each aluminum block can support two peltier chips (CPU Fans and peltier chips are not included).
One block with two chips will support typical ale fermentations and pull a 7 gal. fermenter down by about 10 to 20 degrees (depending on the quality of your chip, insulation, fans, etc.). For lagers and cold aging, two blocks with 4 chips will perform twice as well.
IMPORTANT: This Peltier Kit can only be used with Stout Tanks and Kettles Fermenters (7.3, 10, 12.5 gallon size with approximately 11.8" diameter). This kit will not work with any other fermenter, and is not compatible with "short" or "wheeled" 7.3 gallon fermenters.
Tip and Tricks for Best Results:
- Read FAQ about Setup with a "how to" White Paper for a complete overview.
- Be sure the Heat Sink/Fan is tightly mounted on the chip (the screws that are included as part of a Heat Sink/Fan may not work well enough)
- Use thermally conductive CPU paste between the aluminum block and the fermenter (in addition to using it on both sides of the chip)
- Insulate the fermenter and exposed areas of the aluminum block
- Turn the fan over and reattach it to the heat sink, so the air blows AWAY from the fermenter
- We've been able to achieve 35+ degrees of cooling using 2 blocks with 4 chips (89F to 90F ambient and 51F to 52F in the fermenter) with 6 gallons of wort. (We can't guarantee the same results for you because of all the variables, but we're quite happy with our results!)
- One block is probably adequate for a 5-6 gal. batch of ales and two blocks are likely needed for lagers - unless you have a cool space for the fermenter, in which case you may be able to later with only 1 aluminum block.
- 7 Gallon Conical Fermenter$313.95
- Racking Arm (for 7.3 gallon, 300mm fermenters)$41.99
- Racking Arm (for 400mm Fermenters)$41.99
- Gasket (for a 1.5" Tri-Clamp)$1.04
- Ball Valve Replacement Seals (3/4")$2.61
- 12.5 Gallon Conical Fermenter (with Thermowell and Thermometer)$475.65
- Peltier Cooling Aluminum Block (for 14.5 gallon Fermenters)$94.99
- Heat Sink and Fan$20.00